At New Day, we believe that God is still working miracles, including those of physical healing, and we often see Him work in this way at our services and events. Below you can find testimonies recorded by our prayer team. To learn more about physical healing, scroll down to read the article, "Healing For Today," also available as a brochure at our campuses.
Healing For Today
Do you wonder what healing is all about? Can we expect healing from God today? Truth about healing can be found in God’s wonderful Word. Here are some brief Biblical principles that help us have faith for healing:
1. Believe healing is God’s will for you. Isaiah 53:4-5 states: “Surely He has borne our griefs (sicknesses, weaknesses, and distresses) and carried our sorrow and pains yet we ignorantly considered Him stricken,smitten and afflicted by God. But He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our guilt and iniquities; the chastisement needful to obtain peace and well-being for us was upon Him, and with the stripes that wounded Him we are healed and made whole.”
Some might say that this refers to only spiritual healing, but Matthew 8:16-17 quotes the above Isaiah passage to convey the physical healing and deliverance in Jesus’ ministry was its fulfillment. The Bible teaches that healing has already been paid for by the terrible death of Jesus on the cross, therefore, we can deduce that it is God’s will to heal. Further, the Isaiah passage above indicates His salvation is a complete work. We can expect healing for our spirit, soul and body. In some translations, the phrase above is “by His stripes we WERE healed.” Our healing has already been paid for on the cross and all we have to do is receive it as ours now.
2. Healing is one of God's unchanging attributes. In Exodus 15:26, God revealed that one of His names is Jehovah Rapha – “I am the LORD, who heals you.” The literal translation of this name is “I AM your healing”. Healing is one of God's unchanging attributes; He himself never changes (Malachi 3:6). If God's nature was to heal then, it is still His nature to heal people today, because He never changes.
3. Believe that what was true in the ministry of Jesus while He was on earth is true today because He is the same yesterday, today and forever. He was filled with compassion and He healed everyone who came to Him, as it says in Matthew 8:16 and 12:15. Therefore, it is God’s will to heal everyone who asks Him for healing. Jesus said that we would do even greater works than He did, so you can expect healing is for you today just as it would have been then! We can never rest our faith on what happened to someone else, only on the Word of God.
4. Whatever you ask in My name, I will do it. Believe Jesus when He said, “And whatever you ask in My Name, I will do it, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.” Simple trust!
5. Healing can be gradual. If you don’t see the manifestation of your healing immediately, realize that healing can be instantaneous or it can be gradual. We have seen some receive healing in a matter of seconds! Sometimes it is a process. Mark 16:18b-“…they will lay hands on the sick and they will recover.” You can thank Him often for the day your symptoms are gone!
6. Ask the Holy Spirit to show you verses in the Bible about healing, so you can stand in faith for the truth of healing which is more true than the fact of your symptoms. Declare them out loud and see healing become your current reality. Jesus gave His disciples authority to heal, so if you’re His disciple you have the authority to declare your healing and other’s healings also.
7. Ask the Holy Spirit for His strategy for your healing. Often unforgiveness can be a hindrance to healing. Getting things right with others is crucial. James 5:14-16 says: “Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord. And the prayer of faith will save the sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven. Confess your trespasses to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. “The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man (person) avails much.”
There is much more to learn about healing. There are many wonderful books by authors who have studied the Bible and been led by the Holy Spirit in this subject. Here are some recommendations: “Christ the Healer” by F. F. Bosworth, or books by Charles Capps, John G. Lake, Smith Wigglesworth, or Bill Johnson. You can often find videos of them on YouTube and Wikipedia.